Tuesday, November 6, 2012
1958 Nash Metropolitan
Sold for $14,850 at 2008 RM Auctions.
The original Metropolitan was introduced in 1954. It was an English-built, Pinin Farina designed, Austin-powered car with eight-thousand examples sold during the four months following its introduction. AMC installed a larger, more powerful Austin engine in 1956, added a chrome side slash for two-toning, and did away with the faux hood scoop giving the car a cleaner appearance. At the end of 1956 both Nash and Hudson dropped their respected nameplate, and from 1957 through 1962 the car was known as the AMC Metropolitan.
This example has been treated to a rotisserie restoration. It is painted in tan and white two-tone paint scheme combined with red-monogrammed chrome hubcaps, a chrome driver's side mirror, a manually operated antenna, and a standard 'Continental' spare tire with a white vinyl cover. There is a cloth interior, pod-style instrument panel, and black carpeting.
The engine is an Austin unit that displaces 91 cubic-inches and has been completely rebuilt.
In 2008 this 1958 Nash Metropolitan Coupe was brought to RM Auctions 'Vintage Motor Cars of Meadow Brook' where it was estimated to sell for $10,000-$15,000 and offered without reserve. Bidding reached $14,850 including buyer's premium which was enough to satisfy the reserve. The lot was sold.
In 1947 the Nash company started to think about a small automobile well-directed as a second car. At first they tried technical components from different European manufacturers, some few prototypes were built on Fiat 500 Topolino chassis. Coevally the Nash management negotiated with several European companies about the model's production, such as Borgward and Peugeot. Besides that, there were hundreds of thousands of potential buyers questioned about their needs and demands, making the Metropolitan the very first result of massive market research in the automotive history.
Finally, the British Motor Corporation BMC won the race. So in late 1953 the Nash Metropolitan was realized as an import produced at the Austin factory in Longbridge (where later the Mini was made) from BMC parts. The 42 horsepower 1,200cc inline four came from the Austin A40. The only Nash heritage was their typical front suspension layout.
When the Nash name plate disappeared in 1957 in favor of the Rambler script badge, the model name Metropolitan became the car's brand name. At that time the 'Met' came in chic two-tone paint and a 52 horsepower, 1489cc Austin A50 engine. Until early 961 there were 104,377 convertibles and Coupes made of which 94,991 were sold in teh United States and Canada.
Posted by Palmer at 2:24 PM