Tuesday, April 29, 2014
1949 Packard Eight Series
Sold for $35,750 at 2013 RM Auctions.
The first Packard factory station wagons were offered in 1940. They were hand-crafted vehicles that rode on the six-cylinder 110 and eight-cylinder 120 chassis. Production lasted only two years, but it was enough time to make a dramatic impact among buyers who were seeking a suitable companion for the country house. When World War II came to a close, Packard offered a new wood-trimmed model, which was suitable for both town and country. It was called the station sedan and was essentially a Standard Eight Sedan with white ash paneling over an all-steel body with a semi-fastback roofline with rear quarter panels. It had the appearance of the 'woodies' of old, the wood only played a structural role in the tailgate, which pioneered the two-piece gate that would become a feature of almost all 1950's wagons.
Packard executive and styling guru Edward Macauley envisioned an eager public, but unfortunately sales were rather slow. Most of the station sedans were produced in 1948, with leftovers being re-numbered to sell in 11949, and, finally, in 1950. Few have survived to modern times due to the dedicated care and upkeep these vehicles require. Thus, the wood-trimmed Packards have become a rarity.
This Station sedan is a very original car with much of its original wood. The body panels are finished in brown. It is equipped with an AM radio, a 288 cubic-inch L-Head eight-cylinder engine, and a three-speed manual transmission.